As I noted in the previous post, the free Coleman cooler was a little rough around the edges, but not so bad that a little elbow grease, a little cash and time couldn’t fix.
First up was to source out any broken or missing parts. The cooler came with one missing handle and a broken drain plug. Sourcing these parts in Canada was surprisingly difficult – the Coleman Canada site just isn’t all that useful, pointing you to non – existent dealers or broken links. I eventually found both parts online at Walmart Canada of all places. With both reasonable prices and free shipping, that was right up my alley.
Second is taking care of the rust and scratches. We removed any hardware that wasn’t riveted in place. I didn’t want to get into drilling out the original steel rivets. Then, it was time to break out the angle grinder with wire wheel. The wire wheel made quick work of most of the rust. A Dremel tool with a wire wheel completed the rust removal in the hard to reach places. With help from my brewing assistant, we used a palm sander with 150 grit paper to buff up the rest of the surfaces. Larger scratches were treated with spot putty while bigger dents were left to add a bit of character – I just didn’t want to put in the effort to pull those dents out.
Next up – cleaning the hardware.