These smoked nuts are great for parties. A couple of hours start to finish and you have a delicious smoky snack.
- 2 pounds plain almonds
- 1/4C melted butter (give or take – I don’t measure)
- 1/4C BBQ Rub (any store-bought rub, or make your own – see below)
Mix together almonds, melted butter and rub. Use enough butter to coat the almonds. Smoke at 230-250 degrees with hickory (or maple or oak or whatever you have) for 1-2 hours until nuts are roasted through. I use a BBQ wok pan to hold the nuts while smoking and stir a few times. Sprinkle with kosher salt while still warm. These nuts are great once cool, but are that much better while still hot!
Sweet With Heat BBQ Rub
- 3/4C kosher Salt
- 1/2C brown sugar
- 1/2C paprika
- 1/2C granulated garlic
- 1/3C granulated onion
- 1/2C chili powder
- 2-3 tablespoons Chipotle Powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, ground fine
- 1 tablespoon coriander, ground fine
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, ground fine
Mix all the ingredients together, getting out all the lumps. Store in an airtight jar for a couple of months. I use this for everything from pork, chicken and Alex’s favourite, sweet potato fries.